Follow Me

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin

Wanna Shop?

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About) has read 0 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

New-To-Me Authors


2013 reading goal:
15 new-to-me authors.

1) Stacy Gail
2) Heather Massey
3) Sidney Bristol
4) Ann Mayburn
5) Thea Harrison
6) Virna DePaul
7) Mary Quast
8) Molly Harper
9) Eleri Stone
10) PJ Schnyder
11) Kait Ballenger
12) Denise L. Wyant
13) Lucy Monroe

Reading Now...

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Sunday Snippets

Archived Posts

Books I've Read

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Book Blogs

More Blogs

Parajunkee Design
Powered by Blogger.

Site Meter

UF Summer Reading Celebration...

original images by marin & papaija2008 at FreeDigitalPhotos.com
banner designed by Jennifer from Books Make Me Happy

WINNERS ANNOUNCED HERE! Be sure to check and email me if you are a winner!
Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reading Book Series

I’m going to put this out there... I LOVE READING SERIES! I always have.  Series are comforting for many reasons... They are familiar. Once you have read one book, you know the key players, the rules, and the world, and you get to return time and time again. They tend to have complex and engaging story arcs. Multiple books allow for the development of fabulous story lines. There is plenty of space and time to create something wonderful. You can never have too much of a good thing. Let’s face it - if it works, don’t fix it! I don’t mean that an author should write the same story over and over, but if the formula and the mythology works, I want to read more.
My love for reading series started back in my youth when I was obsessed with series like Trixie Belden and The Three Investigators.  I loved to collect books in a series, and I HAD to read the books in order... start with book #1 and then #2, etc. Even with those earlier books, where each book was basically a stand alone read, if the books were numbered, I read them in that order.
This habit has continued now that I’m an avid Paranormal Romance (PNR) and Urban Fantasy (UF) reader. When I first re-started my love for reading in October 2008, my dear friends recommended series like Black Dagger Brotherhood and Dark Hunters.  It was nice because there were multiple books in the series available and I could devour them back-to-back. And my order-obsession stayed in tact. I’d buy all of the books in a series at once -  including the novellas that were found in anthologies.  I created spreadsheets for each series I read so that I would know the reading order, the main characters and plot lines.  Yes. I’m a bit OC when it comes to reading series.
But recently that has changed... I have started to receive books directly from various publishers for review purposes. This is a great honor and very exciting. I am being exposed to books that I probably wouldn’t have picked up to read otherwise.  However, many of these books are in the middle of established series. 
I recently read and reviewed 3 different books - all within established series: Ghost Town (Morganville Vampires #9), Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom #5) and The Taming of the Wolf (Westfield Brothers #4 - review to come).  Before I picked up the books, I would ask the publisher if I could read as a “stand alone” story, and the response was always “yes.” But of course it has to be - even though an author may write the books in a specific order, I can’t imagine any other or publisher making the books completely unreadable unless you have read the whole series - how would they attract new readers/fans?
So as I received these books, I had mixed reactions to jumping into a series, but for the sake of my blog and exposing myself to more books, I gave it a try. In the case of Ghost Town, I wanted to go back and read the earlier books, but felt I was well prepared in my reading.  As for Magic at the Gate, I enjoyed the book, but felt it would have been more meaningful if I had read the earlier stories.  The Taming of the Wolf, is pretty much a stand alone book (and I had help from A Buckeye Girl Reads with the backstory!)
So this really got me thinking... Since I don’t have the time to go back and play “catch up” when I receive a book to review (that is in the middle of a series), should I still review it?  As I move forward with my blog and writing reviews, I look to you for feedback...
From authors... Do you have any concerns or issues with a reviewer that reads and reviews a book from the middle of your series without having read the earlier books?
From other reviewers - do you ever do this? Has it caused problems?
From readers - are my reviews helpful to you if I haven’t read the whole series?
Thanks for your time!! Happy reading!


20 comments:

Stacy~ said...

I am very anal about reading the series in order, and so far, I've managed to do just that. I love the backstory, and sometimes I think you need it. I believe I couldn't have enjoyed the Psy-Changeling story unless I had started with Slave to Sensation and carried it through.

Great post Jen!

Unknown said...

I boldly claim that my books are equally enjoyable whether read in order or not. However, I've just received some proof editor's queries for the 5th in a series and found myself muttering 'You'd know that if you'd read the series'. It was a wake-up call for me. All books in a series *must* be able to be read and enjoyed on their own merit.

I have no problem with reviewers or readers reading a book from the middle of a series. The responsibility, in my opinion, is with the author to make sure the books are good enough to stand alone and - hopefully - tempt the reader to check out earlier books in the series.

Great post!

Mandi said...

I used to only read books in order, but the same thing happened to me..I would get a book for a review and it would be in the middle of a series.

If it is a book that interests me, I try to read it. Sometimes I have to put it down because I have no idea what is going on - but a lot of authors get you up to date in the beginning of the book. I think UF is harder to start in the middle..but PNR or contem, with a focus on a new H/H each book is easy to jump into.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I'm torn on this issue. When I got The Taming of the Wolf, I'd only read book one in that series. I pushed myself to read books 2 and 3 in that series so I'd be ok with reading book 4. I wish I hadn't because I didn't enjoy books 2 and 3 as much as I could've if I had just read them after I read The Taming of the Wolf.

The Virgo in me makes it really hard for me to read series out of order. I used to not care-but now I'm anal, and don't except review books that are number 4 or 5 in a series and I haven't read them. I'm weird that way.

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

That should be accept. I really shouldn't type before I've had my morning coffee.

Samantha Kane said...

I don't write PN or UF, but in my historical series I write each book as a stand-alone. I have recurring characters, but you don't need to read past books to enjoy individual titles. You might enjoy going back to read about the characters in previous books, but it's not necessary to do so in order to understand what's going on in the latest book. I work very hard to make that happen.

That's my writer hat.

::Putting on reader hat:: I love, love, love series! And I must read them in order. I don't care if it's not necessary. I recently stopped partway into a book when I realized that I had somehow missed one in the series. I went back, got the missing book, read it, and then went back to the one I'd been reading. Did it matter? Not really. But I'm still glad I did it.

Larissa Ione said...

Oh, man...I LOVE series. Love them. Like you, once I'm immersed in a world, I want to stay there. It's why I love movies like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, TV shows/movies like Star Trek. My favorite books are from series (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, for example.)

I think books in some series can be more easily read alone if there isn't a big, overarching connection. Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series is easily read out of order or from starting in the middle (I read them from all over the place and have never been lost, anyway.)

As an author, I have to admit, although I try to make sure each book can be read by itself...I'm not sure I always succeed. My first three Demonica books are pretty stand-alone, even with the Gem/Kynan arc, but by book 4, I think there was so much backstory that I was nervous for reviewers who were starting there.

Same thing happened with the ACRO books -- I think the first 4 are fairly stand-alone, but 5 and 6? Maybe not as much, even though we tried.

Great questions!!!

Twimom227 said...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I love how many of you describe yourself as "anal" when it comes to reading books - I use the same word to describe myself, but purposely tried to avoid it when writing my post - glad you all used it anyhow!

@Stacy: I agree 100% and in general I think series are more gratifying if you read all the books - the emotional investment of the characters leads to a better read down the road in book #3, 4, 5, etc. But as a reader - if I reviewed say book #5 of the Psy-Changeling series w/out having read the first 4, would you still give validation to the review?

@Shirley: Excellent points! Thanks!

@Mandi: I agree! UF series are not as easy to jump into. I found that with MAGIC AT THE GATE. Although I enjoyed the book, I felt like emotionally I was missing something. PLUS - book #4 was left with a big cliffhanger (segway to your current blog post!), so when I started book #5, I jumped into the "fire" so to speak.

@Buckeye Girl: Good to know. I am trying to decide if I should continue to read/review these "middle of the series" books.

@Samantha: I've done the same thing!

@Larissa: I agree with your comments about your own series! But as someone who has read them all, when I write a review for say book #5 of ACRO, I tell people that the series is so good and the emotional satisfaction greater that they *should* go back and start with book #1. (Although, with ACRO, the Creed/Annika and Dev storylines are my favs and would suffer if you didn't read from book #1.)

Julie@My5monkeys said...

great topic

I anal about series too and want to give my book my entire thoughts but coming into a series , you miss some of the magic of the first book.But that being said I have read the barrons/fever out of order and that was okay..

Jo said...

I think it depends on the series. When you start to get into books 5-8 -- or when I do anyway -- I feel like the main/core characters are solid and you know them and their quirks.

For Sydney Croft's ACRO series, picking up at say book 4 wouldn't be a real issue because that book starts a "new" series with characters you're getting to know as the book moves forward. The same goes for Lydia Dare's The Taming of the Wolf.

Great question!

Gigi's Consignment Closet said...

First off-LOVE TRIXIE BELDEN-but you knew that. Still pushing for someone to pick it up when they are adults. lol I want Trixie and Jim to have an HEA.
I love a good series. I am a reader who hates to let go of her characters so when an author presents me with a series I'm all over it. I have started in the middle before and depending on how I connect in that book I may go back and read the ones before it. Usually I do. I have an easier time doing it with contempts, historicals, and Sus Rom though. If it's PNR or UF I either get the ones before hand to read really quick first or turn down the review. Like Feehan, Kenyon, or Singh.
The characters are solidly fixed and reading in the middle is really just going to throw you off.

Paige Prince said...

I love reading series! Trixie Belden was the first series I ever got into and I still miss it. :)

As a reader, I refuse to read a series out of order. Maybe it's my OCD tendencies or maybe I'm just weird like that, but I can't read a series out of order. As a reviewer.... actually, I'm the same way for both. I hate feeling lost, and even if a book is "okay as a standalone", I always feel like I missed something big and that irritates the hell out of me.

Andrea said...

I really try to read a series in order, its very important to me to start at the 'beginning'. But sometimes you can't get the the first book, or you don't know its a series until after you've read book 2 or 3. I did that with SEPs Chicago Stars series, I accidentally started with book 5, but once I found out it was a series I went to book 1. I feel like you I LOVE series, they are so comforting to me, I love spending time with all of the characters and getting to know them more thru each book in the series.Even tho most of the books in the series that I have read are 'stand alone' there are 'plot points' that are revealed from earlier books, so I would much rather read start from book 1 when I can

Marq said...

I am seriously anal and OCD about reading a series in order. Reading it out of order is not an option for me even if the book can be read as a "stand alone". I recently received a book for review that was book 2 in a series. I promptly went out and bought book 1. LOL! IMO series aren't meant to be read as stand alones because of the back story and possible re-occuring characters. I don't think I'd accept a review request for a book that's book 4 or higher in a series if I haven't read books 1-3. My OCD won't let me. Hahaha!!!

Eva / TXBookjunkie said...

I think if the author has done a good job, each book should be able to stand alone. Obviously, you'll miss some items that may make the current book more meaningful if you had read the previous books, but you should still be able to understand what's going on and why characters are acting a certain way. I think authors with long running series should consider writing each book as if it is a stand-alone since so much time usually passes between the first book and the current book. Not everyone has time to go back to read all the books, and those of us who have been with the series since the beginning may have awful memories (i.e. me).

I prefer to read a series in order, but I've also read several series out of order (both series with different main characters and series with same main character throughout). And sometimes there's a book in a series that I may not care for (main character, plot) and I don't want to spend time on. I've also read only one book from a series (finding no appeal reading the others despite enjoying that one book).

So, after all this rambling, I think you should review a book even if it's in the middle of the series. That way readers new to the series will know any issues they may encounter. Those are followers of the series will probably read the book regardless of your rating, but they'll still get a good feel of what works and doesn't work in the book.

Unknown said...

Although I pretty much agree with a lot of what has been previously posted, I two pet peeves when reading series. First, how about we stop with the current trend of cliffhangers? Unless a sequel will be published in a relatively short period of time (like some Orbit books-w/in 3-6 months), I feel that cliffhangers are a bit of a cheat. Trust me, if the book is good, we'll be back for more.

Second, and I think this has already been expressed, when the series will be more than a du- or tri-logy, it should either be as self-contained as possible, or have some sort of character/relationship/'Up to now' guide.

I absolutely live off series, and there's nothing like finding a new one.

MZMollyTL said...

Jen, thank you for a very interesting topic. I've been reader, reviewer, and selector for awards lists, and trust me, those selection committees agonize over whether or not to put "series" books on the list. As it has been said before in your comments section (and much more eloquently), if it stands alone, it can work.
But may I ask about a different side of the equation? What if you are already a fan of the series? Does it skew your review? Do you then judge the book easier or harder than someone who is brand new to the series? Should reviewers not only mention whether or not they've read the review without reading its predecessors, but should reviewers also mention if they are prior fans? Does it matter?
Sometimes I'm cautious about reading a book because I don't want to get into a new series; it can be a big commitment. I held off reading the Demonica series for a while because I didn't want to OD on paranormal romance, but but my friend had the whole series (a reasonable 5 in number) and I whipped [heh heh] through them like crazy and loved them.
Keep up the discussion - and I loved Trixie Belden as a kid!

Twimom227 said...

@Julie, @Hanson, @Tori, @Mama, @Andrea, @Marq, @Eva, @Jazz: Thanks for the comments. It's interesting to see which series different people are "okay" with reading out of order - it varies for everyone. And while my OC didn't want me to jump in the middle of a series, I did for the sake of the review.

@Macphail... Great points! I do, in fact, let readers know when I have reviewed a book with which I have a long history (and have read others in the series). Many times I will specifically say that the emotional impact of the story was heightened b/c of my history or that it may be good as a stand alone, but better b/c I've read them all. And in one case, I even gave a book two different ratings - one as a stand alone and one for those that have read the series.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I think at this time, I will continue to read/review the books as I get them - to include mid-series books. As long as my reviews are meaningful/helpful to people that visit my blog, then I'm happy!

Janna said...

Your reviews are always meaningful and helpful, Jen. :)
The fact that you ask these questions shows how considerate a reviewer you are. I heart that you tell where you stand in relation to the book that you're reviewing and even try to look at it from a different perspective every now and then (like with the two ratings for one book).
Great post!

Sarah said...

I'm a bit late joining the discussion but I thought I'd comment anyway :o)

I love reading series, love the fact that you get to know the world you're in & usually get glimpses of what previous characters are up to now.

I won't read a series out of order. I only did that once (& that was by mistake) when I piced up book 5 in the Walker Papers series by C.E. Murphy. Although I enjoyed the book I know I've picked up major spoilers for previous books and there were a few things that didn't make much sense as I was missing too much background info. That was my own fault for starting it without realising it was book 5 though. It made it very difficult to review the book because I know I'd have enjoyed it even more if I knew the full back story.

I will accept review books for later books in a series if the books appeal to me. I only do it on the understanding that I will have to read the earlier books first though. The library comes in handy for earlier books if you're not sure how much you'll love a series or if it's something I've been wanting to read I'll buy the earlier books first.

Never again will I read a series out of order, just because that's what I prefer :o) It's so nice to know that others feel the same as I do!

Coming Up...

Review: Making It Last by Ruthie Knox

Review: Dangerous Proposition by Jessica Lauryn

Review: Vicious Moon by Lee Roland

Review: The Thing About Weres by Leigh Evans

Review: Magic Rises by Ilona Andrews

Review: Marine with Benefits by Heather Long

About My Blog...

WELCOME to my blog! At That's What I'm Talking About, we discuss romance books and generally review the paranormal and urban fantasy genres, with some other fun topics tossed in. I hope you will stay and visit for a while!

Happy Reading!

Jen
aka Twimom227

Disclaimer

About our reviews: The reviews posted here are the writer's own honest opinion of the book, not a judgement on the subject matter or author. We read for pleasure and at the request of authors and publishers. We do not receive compensation for our reviews, other than the copy of the book to read for the review.

----------

We try to keep posts on the blog PG-13, however the material reviewed and discussed is intended for adults (18 years and older). Please consider this if you choose to read and/or follow my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Awesome Peeps

Grab My Button

Photobucket

I Want To Read!

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

I'm Talking About

1 Night Stand series 1 Star 2 Stars 2.5 stars 200 Follower 2010 2011 2012 3 stars 3.5 stars 300 Follower 4 stars 4.5 stars 5 stars A F***ed-Up Fairy Tale A.A. Aguirre AAD Featured Author AADNola AADPhilly AADSav Abby Sinclair Series Abigail Barnette Abigail Roux Abstrus ACE ACRO Addison Fox Adrian Phoenix adventure Affairs by Moonlight Age of Steam Series Alaskan Nights Aleksandr Voinov Alex Craft Novels Alex Hughes Alex Taylor Alex Verus Series Alexandra Ivy Alexia Reed Alexis Morgan Alissa Johnson All Souls Trilogy Allay Series Allie Beckstrom Series Allie Mackay Allison Brennan Allison Chase Allison Pang Allyson James Alpha and Omega series Alpha Pack Series Always a Marine series Alyssa Day Alyx Rayer Chronicles Amanda Bonilla Amanda Carlson Amanda Hocking Amanda J Greene Amazon Amoveo Legend Amy Lane Amy Raby Andrea Speed Ang Review Angela Knight angels Angels of Dark series Animal Magnetism series Anita Clenney Ann Aguirre Ann Mayburn Anna Hackett Anna Strong Chronicles Anne Bishop Anne Gracie anthology Anton Strout Anya Bast Apparatus Infernum series Apple Araneae Nation series Arcana Love series Arcane Shot Series Arlene Webb Ashley March Ashlyn Chase Assassins Guild Series Augusta Blythe Author Interview authors Authors After Dark Authors Photo Dog Fight Ava Gray Ava Riley Avery Aster Avon Books Awakened by Blood Series Awakening Series Awards Ballantine Books Bantam/Spectra Barbara Bretton BB Griffith BBAW BDB BDSM BDSM Bingo Bec McMaster Benedict Jacka Berkley Sensation Berkley Trade Beth Ciotta Beth Kery Beyond Human Bigtime Superheroes Birthday Black Dagger Brotherhood Black Friday Black Wade Black Wings Series Blog hop blog tour blogger blogging blogiversary Blood Coven Series Blood Kissed Series Blood-Vine Series Bloodlands Boardrooms and Billionaires Book Blogger Hop book boyfriends Book Covers book heroines Book of the Order Book Rhythm Publishing book signing Book Spotlight books BookStrand Publishing Boone Brux Bottled Magic Bound by Magick series Brava/Kensington Publishing Breathless Trilogy Breeds Bridget Midway Britt Bury Broken Heart Vampires Brotherhood of the Damned series Bs-review Buffy the Vampire Slayer C-man Review Caitlyn R. Kiernan Camelot Series cancer Cari Quinn Carina Press Carnality Series Carolyn Crane Carolyn Jewel Carrie Lofty cartoons Casey Holloway Cassandra Clare Cassandra Palmer Series Cassie Alexander Castle of Dark Dreams Cat Grant Cat Johnson Cate Masters Catherine Mann Cecy Robson celebrating Celestial Blues series Celta's Heartmates Chance Sisters Chaos Series charity Charles David Clasman Charley Davidson Series Charming Series chat Cheryl Ann Smith chic-lit Chicagoland Vampires Children of Paranoia Children of the Moon children's fiction Chimera Novels Chloe Kayne Chloe Neill Chris Dolley Christa Paige Christi Snow Christina Dodd Christina Henry Christine Cody Christine Trent Christine Wenrick Christopher Golden City Harvest CJ Barry Claire Ashgrove Clement Clarke Moore Clockwork Agents series Clockwork Empire Club Wicked Code of Shadows series Colbana Files Colters Legacy Series comic book Coming Home Series coming soon computers conferences Connor Grey Series contemporary romance contest conventions copy-cat covers Corine Solomon Council Series Country Mouse series Cover Love Coveted Series Cricket Creek Crossfire series Cut and Run Series cycling Cynthia Eden Dakota Cassidy Danaan Trilogy Dara Young Dare Island series Dark Age Dawning Dark Hunters Dark Ink Chronicles Dark Magick Series Dark Ops Series Dark Protectors series Dark Tide Series Darkly Enchanted Series Darynda Jones Daughters of the Jaguar series David Anthony DAW Deadtown Series deals Deanna Wadsworth death Deborah Cooke Deborah Harkness Decadent Publishing Decadent's Edge Series Deep Freeze Blog Tour Delacorte Press Dell Books Demonica Demons of Infernum Demons Unleashed depression Devices of War Trilogy Devon Monk Devyn Quinn Dianne Sylvan Disenchanted Publishing Disillusionists Trilogy DL Jackson DNF Dog Days Series Donna MacMeans Dorina Basarab Series Dragon Diaries Dragonfire Series Dreamspinner Press Dylan Scott Mystery Earth Angels ebooks Edie Spence series EL James Elaine Coffman Elemental Assassin Series Eleri Stone Elisabeth Naughton Elise Hepner Elite Forces Series Eliza Gayle Elizabeth Bevarly Elizabeth Jennings Elle Jasper Elle Kennedy Ellen Connor Ellora's Cave email subscriptions Emily Bronte Emily Cale Emily McKay Emma Wildes Ender's Game Entangled Publishing ereader Erica Hayes Erin Kellison Erin McCarthy Erin Quinn erotic romance Eternal Guardians Eternal Wolf Clan series Etherlin Series Eve Silver everafter series Eververse Ex Trophy Wives series Execution Underground Extrasensory Agents series F***ed-Up Fairy Tale Facebook Faith Hunter Falling Under Series Fantastic Fiction Publishing FBI Psychics series FBI-US Attorney Series feed readers FeedBurner FemDom Fifty Shades of Grey first crush first day of school First Gifts first kiss Fitzhugh Trilogy Flirting with Fangs Flying Gang Legacy For the Love of Evil series Forever Publishing Forever Yours Publishing Forgotten Goddesses Forsaken by the Others Blog Tour Fortitude Scott series Frostbite Series Fuller Center series G-U Review Galileo Publishing Game of Shadows Games of Love Series Gayle Donnelly Gena Showalter Genevieve Graham genies Gerry Bartlett Ghost Finders Series gift card Gikany review Gimme Shelter giveaway GLBT Glory St. Clair Glory St. Clare goals Goddess Unbound series Golgotham Good Girl series GoodReads google Google + google reader Grand Central Publishing graphic novel Greywalker Series grieving Griffith Publishing Grigori Legacy Grimm's Circle Guardian Series guest post guest review Guild Hunters Guinevere Trilogy Gwen Hayes H and W Investigations Series H&W Investigations Hadley Brothers Series Hailey Edwards Half-Moon Hollow Hanaford Park Hang Fire novella Hanna Martine Hannah Jayne Harlequin Harlequin Nocturne Cravings Harper Voyager Publishing Harry Potter HEA Heart Book Series Heart of Obsidian Heart of the Wolf series Hearts and Thrones Heather Long Heather Massey Heather Snow Heroes A2Z Hessius Mann Series Highland Legend Series Highland Warrior Series Historical Fiction historical romance holidays Honey Mountain Publishing Hoodoo Series HOT Cops Series House of Arkhangel'sk House of Comarre series HQN Hunters Series IJ Miller Ilona Andrews Immortal After Dark Series Immortal Heat Series Immortal Love Series Immortal Rogues In Vino Veritas Infernal Devices series Infinity Series InkLit Publishing iPhone iPhone 5 Iron Seas Irresistible Attraction series J Keller Ford J Taylor Publishing J. L. Langley J.A. Saare J.R. Blackwell JA Belfield JA Kazimer Jaci Burton Jack Fleming Jack L Pyke Jackie Ivie Jackson Series Jae Lynne Davies Jaguar Series Jane Kindred Jane True Series Jane Yellowrock Series JC Daniels JD Robb JD Tyler Jean Johnson Jeanette Baker Jeaniene Frost Jeanne C. Stein Jennifer Armintrout Jennifer Ashley Jennifer Cole Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer Jennifer Estep Jennifer Labelle Jennifer M. Eaton Jennifer Stevenson Jenny Schwartz Jenny Trout jes battis Jes Young Jess Granger Jess Haines Jess Jarman Jessa Slade Jessica Andersen Jessica Lauryn Jessica McClain Series Jessica Scott Jessica Sims Jessica Subject Jill Archer Jill Gregory Jill Myles Jill Shalvis Jim Butcher Jim Hines JK Coi JK Rowling Jo Beverley Jo Goodman Joan Frances Turner Joan Swan Joey W. Hill John Levitt Josh of the Damned Joyce Lamb JR Ward Judi Fennell Judith Merkle Riley Julia Talbot Juliana Gray Julie James Juliet Dark Justin Gustainis Kait Ballenger Kaki Warner Kalayna Price Kali Willows Kami Cummings Karen Chance Karen Erickson Karen Kelley Karen Robards Karyn Gerrard Kasey MacKenzie Kat Bastion Kat Richardson Kate Cross Kate Daniels Kate Douglas Kate Moore Kate Noble Kate Pearce Kathleen Tierney Kathryne Kennedy Kathy Love Katie MacAlister Katie Reus KC Randall Kelly Rand Kelly Said Kendrian Vampires Kensington Aphrodisia Kensington Publishing Keri Lake Keri Stevens Kerry Schafer Keta Diablo Kickstarter kids Killer Instincts series Kimberley Troutte Kimberly Frost Kindle Kiss Across Time series Kresley Cole Kris Cook Kris DeLake Kris Norris Krista D. Ball Kristen Ashley Kristen Bell Kristen Painter Kristin Daniels kristine grayson KT Grant Kylie Brant Kylie Griffin L.C. Dean Lady of Ashes Lara Adrian Larissa Ione Laura Howard Lauren Dane Lauren Jameson LaVerne Thompson Le Club d'Esclavage League of the Black Swan Lee Roland Leia Shaw Leigh Evans lesbian romance Leslie Parrish life Light Blade Series Lila DiPasqua Linda Howard Linda Poitevin Linda Wisdom Linna Sinclair Liquid Silver Books Lisa Renee Jones Lisa Sanchez Lisa Worrall Liz Fichera Lola Dodge London Steampunk Series London Undead Lone Star Witch Lonesome Way Series Long Slow Tease series Loose ID publishing Lora Leigh Lords of Deliverance Lords of the Darkyn Series Lords of the Underworld Lori Foster Loribelle Hunt Lost Lost City Shifters Louisa Klein Lovers on the Fringe Loveswept LuAnn McLane Lucani Lovers Lucy Monroe Lydia Dare Lyn Benedict Lynda R Young Lynn Cahoon Lynn Kurland Lynn Viehl Lyrical Press m/m romance Mac Mackinnon-Douglass Series MacKinnon's Rangers Mad Passions series Madeline Black series Madeline Urban Maeve Greyson Mageverse Series Maggi Myers Maggie Shayne Magic and Mayhem series Magic Series Magnus Flyte Maire Clairmont Make Believe Blog Tour Manhattan Ten Margaret K McElderry Books Mari Freeman Mari Mancusi Marie Treanor Marina Adair Mark Del Franco Mark of Abel Marvelle Circus series Mary Quast Matthew Reilly Maxey Wizards Series Maya Banks Megan Hart Melanie Card Melissa Schroeder Meljean Brook menage Mercedes Lackey Mercy Thompson Mermaids Michele Bardsley Michelle Rowen Michelle Sagara Midnight Breed Midnight Liaisons milestones military/suspense romance Mindhunters Mindspace Investigations Ministry Initiative Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Miss Molly Mists of Ireland Misty Burke MK Reviews ML Brennan Mockingjay Moira Rogers Molly Harper Montgomerys and Armstrongs Montlake Romance Moon Shifters Morganville Vampires Mortal Series movie reviews Mundania Press My Favorite Books mystery/suspense Mystwalker series Mythos Academy series NAL Nalini Singh Nancy A. Collins Nancy Holzner Nell Stark Nerine Dorman New Adult New Moon New Orleans new releases New-to-Me Author 2012 New-to-Me Author 2013 Nico Rosso Nicole Peeler Nightshade Series Nima Review Nina Bangs Nook Noon Onyx Series Norah Wilson Northern Circles Series Novel of the Earth Witches novella Olivia Cunning Olivia Quincy Omnific Publishing On Dublin Street One Night of Passion Series Orbit Publishing Orson Scott Card osi series Otherkin series Outcast Season Paladin Warriors Pamela Clare Para-Ops Series paranormal paranormal romance paranormal YA Patrice Michelle Patricia Briggs Patricia Coughlin Patricia Rice PC Penguin Publishing Persia Woolley Peter Octavian Series PG Forte Philippa Ballantine Phoenix Rising series Pip Ballantine Piper Maitland PJ Schnyder Play by Play series Pleasure Bites series PN Elrod Pocket Books Poetry pop culture press release Prides of the Moon Series Princess novels Princess of Twilight and Dawn Psy/Changeling Pyr Publishing Queen of the Dead series quickie review Rachel Caine Rafferty Series rafflecopter RAGT RAGT12 RAGT13 Random House randomness Ravenous Romance Publishing Read for a Cure reading Reading Challenge Rebecca Royce Rebecca York Rebecca Zanetti Red Hot Blue series Red Tree Publishing redecorating Regan Hastings Regency Regency Faery Regency Vampyres Relics of Merlin Series Renee Bernard Renegade Angels Renita Pizzitola resolutions Resplendence Publishing reviews Reviews by Author Rhiannon's Laws Riley Ross Riptide Publishing Rob Thomas Rob Thurman Robin Covington Robin D. Owens Robyn MacKenzie ROC romance Romance at Random romance trading cards Romantic Tales Bedtime Stories Roped Emotions Rosalie Lario Rulers of Darkness Runaway Brides Trilogy Ruthie Knox S.J. Pierce Sahara Kelly Salon Games Sam-Cody Samantha Kane Samantha Young Samhain Publishing Sandy Williams Sara Beaman Sara Brookes Sara Humphreys Sarah M. Glover Sarah McCarty Saturday Conversations Scandals of San Sebastian School for Brides sci-fi/fantasy Sean McCabe Secret Histories Series Section 8 Seducing the Scoundrels Seleste deLaney self-published Sentinels of New Orleans Serenity Woods Shades of Fury Shadow Force Shadow Kissed Series Shadow Ops series Shadow Reader series Shadow Series Shadow Unit series Shadow World Shadowlands Trilogy Shadows Inquires Series Shaede Assassin Series Shannon K. Butcher Shannon MacLeod Sharla Lovelace Sharon Lynn Fisher Sharon Shinn Sharp Blog Tour Shaunta Grimes Shawntelle Madison Sheila Stewart Shelfari Sherrilyn Kenyon Sherry Soule Sherry Thomas Shifted World series shifters Shifters and Bikers Series Shifters Unbound series Shifting Plains series Shiloh Walker Shirley Wells Shona Husk shopping Sidney Ayers Sidney Bristol Signet Silver Publishing Simon Canderous series Simon R. Green Sinners on Tour Sirantha Jax Siren Publishing Skin Novels SL Carpenter SL Wright Sleepy Hollow Slone Skye Series SM Blooding Sneak Peek So Inked series social media Sons of Sin Sons of the Zodiac Sons of Wrath Soulfire Series Sourcebooks Spellcrackers Spellmason Chronicles Spirit Caller Series Spirit Wild series spoilers St. Helena Vineyard series St. Martin's Press Stacey Espino Stacey Kennedy Stacy Gail Starla Kaye steampunk Stefan Petrucha Stella and Audra Price Stephanie Julian Stephanie Rowe Stephanie Tyler Steven Harper Stormwalker Series Strange Neighbors series street team promo Succubus Diaries Sugar Maple Chronicles summer reading Sunday Snippets Susan Johnson Suzanne Collin Suzanne Johnson Suzanne McLeod swag Sydney Croft Sylvia Day Sypricon Masters Tales from the IWSS Tamara Hogan Tamara Morgan Tami Dane Tammy Falkner Tarryn Fisher Taryn Kincaid Tate Hallaway Tatum Throne TBR TD Thomas technology Tee Morris Teresa D'Amario Terra's Guardians Terri Rochenski Terry Spear Tes Hilaire Tessa Adams thankful Thanksgiving The Anomaly Trilogy The Associates The Between The Blue Raven Series The Body Series The Boss The Boss Read Along The Boys Are Back In Town The Charmed Trilogy The Company of Rogues The Court of Annwyn The Courtyards of the Others The Delicious Series The Devil Riders The Edge Series The Elect Series The Elementals Series the Elven Lords The Ether Chronicles The Fallen Series The Fangover series The Farm The Glorious Victorious Darcys The Iron Duke The Legend Chronicles The Lost Anthology The Maker's Song Series The Manhattanites The Merry Widows series The Night Before Christmas The Nine Kingdoms The Pinnacles of Power The Princess Bride The Saint's Devils series The Seven Signs The Stepsister Scheme The Tournament Series The Underground Series The Vampire Files The Watchers The Weird Girls Thea Harrison Theresa Meyers Three Princesses series Tigris Eden Tilly Greene Time Thief series time-travel title reveal TK Rayford top ten Tor Publishing Torquere Press Touch and Geaux Web Hunt Tracy Cooper-Posey Traveller series Trevor Shane Trinity Blacio Trinity Tam Triton Experiment Series True Mates Tuesday Teaser Tulipe Noire Press TV shows Twilight of the Gods Twilight Series Movies Twimom Review twitloss Twitter Ty Langston Una Review Underbelly Chronicles Underworld Detection Agency Universe Unbound Series upcoming releases upgrade urban fantasy Urban Fantasy Summer Reading Celebration Ursula Sinclair Utterly Loved vacation Vampbard review Vampire Armageddon vampires Veiled Seduction Series Veronica Mars Veronica Wolff Vicki Lewis Thompson Vicki Pettersson Victoria Dahl Victoria Laurie Viking Publishing Viola Ryan Virginia Henley Virginia Kantra Virna DePaul Warriors of Poseidon Warriors of the Mist weather weight loss Weight Watchers Werewolf Series western Westfield Brothers When the Mission Ends Whispers of Scandal Wilbur Smith Wild About You series Willow Rose winners Witchs Brew Series With or Without series Wizards of Nevermore wordpress Wrecked Blog Tour Wurthering Heights YA Literature Year in Review Zebra Publishing Zodius Series Zoe Archer zombies